Friday, May 20, 2011

Macho

Today a co-worker announced to me that Macho Man Randy Savage died. Even though I hadn't even thought of Macho Man in about 20 years, this saddened me. MM was never my favorite wrestler, I was much more of a Jake the Snake or Brutus the Barber girl. But still, his death reminded me of the WWF and going to the Erie Civic Center with my father, brother and great-grandfather.
Only in the 80's and early 90's could this man have been described as "Macho". Sure, he was muscular by any standard, but macho? The Village People might disagree, but that would just prove my point. Maybe it was all tongue-in-cheek, but I suspect not. If it was, I don't think wrestling fans were in on the joke.

No matter what, his untimely death (in what I understand was a car accident) at 58 is a sad event for his family, friends and fans. So snap into a Slim-jim and shout out a loud "Ohhh Yeahhh" for this unabashedly macho man.

3 comments:

  1. When I saw the announcement of his death, I wondered if he was from your and Ryan's era. I have to say although I had no desire to join you on these adventures, going to watch professional wrestling with Baba and Jim are one of the fond memories from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg I was going to write you a text yesterday when I read he died I immediately thought of u and ryan bc u went to see the wwf. I didn't write the text something shiny must have distracted me and then forgot what I was going to do

    ReplyDelete