Saturday, September 10, 2011

Aunt Pittypatt at German Fest

Today I went to the German American Festival with some friends of mine. I was excited to get out after my incredibly boring Labor Day Weekend. I wanted to make sure I did it right. I looked at the weather (it was supposedly 74degrees) and decided to dress in jeans, a short sleeved blouse and my Hannover sweatshirt I got in Germany. Appropriate, no?

We got there around 2:30 and I almost immediately went to get a sausage with cole slaw and potato salad. Everything was going well, I enjoyed my food and the four of us were just standing around and talking for a while.

I noticed that it was getting really warm. My face was seriously "glowing" (not sweating, glistening) but I was trying to play it cool. Rather quickly, my brain went a bit fuzzy around the edges, I felt lightheaded and couldn't quite figure out why. I thought it would pass, but it didn't. Instead, everyone I was with seemed to float away like looking through the wrong end of a telescope. Luckily, our party had one chair which was being occupied by a sweater and a purse. I had the fortitude to say (probably a bit weakly) "Kathryn, I think I need to sit down or I'll..."

The next thing I knew, I felt vice-grip like fingers in my arm, I was sitting in the chair, and everyone was saying "Sara, Sara, are you okay?" My understanding is that when I stopped speaking I kind of hunched over the table where we were standing. Kathryn thought I was demonstrating what I would do if I didn't sit down, but then quickly realized we had passed beyond the demonstration state right into the actual doing! She said it was just a matter of a few seconds, but that my eyes were open the whole time. Totally creepy! Nothing like this has ever happened to me before, and I'm sure it was a result of the heat and possible dehydration (although I had a bottle of water earlier in the day).

In the end, I felt better almost immediately and I got some water to drink. All I can say is that it was the strangest sensation, and thank goodness my friends were there to help me!

2 comments: