Sunday, May 9, 2010

Russian Roulette with Rufus


Last week I got a message via email that my favorite singer, Rufus Wainwright, was going to be performing in Minneapolis, Minnesota in Mid-August. The show is scheduled for a Wednesday, but the busy season at work will be over by then so I could conceivably take off work to go. However, I will be taking time off around Labor Day for a wedding and am going to make that trip into a bit of a post-summer break.

I haven't seen Rufus in concert for years and he has primarily toured in Europe lately. In fact, he will be in Athens this year! He never was there when I lived in Greece.

If I buy the tickets for Minneapolis and he comes to Chicago, I'll be ticked, but if I don't buy the tickets and he never makes it here, I will really be annoyed. I guess it is just a roll of the dice. In the end, I am taking the chance that he will come to Chicago but there is no way of knowing.

In the meantime, I'll just have to be content with his new album, "All Days are Nights: Songs for Lulu" I haven't really latched on to any of the songs yet, but it is a darker and more somber collection than he has previously released. It doesn't have any of the grand, sweeping orchestration of his previous albums. It is just him and a piano. I have even heard that, when he is performing the first act of his concert, there are no breaks for applause and photography is forbidden. The audience is asked not to applaud until he has left the stage.

No comments:

Post a Comment