Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Rant

Could T-Mobile BE any less original? (Said in my best Chandler Bing) Their new series of commercials are a direct rip-off of the highly popular and memorable "I'm a Mac" ads.









I respond negatively to this on a visceral level. It is difficult for me to articulate.

I'll try anyway.

I get what T-Mobile is attempting, the iPhone is an Apple product so I see the connection. My problem is that it is just so done. The first "I'm a Mac" commercials aired in 2006 and the last one was in early 2010. We're talking a good 6 month lag which, in this day and age of instant communication, is absolutely AGES!

T-Mobil seems to always be one step behind. One of the greatest cell phone network ads ever was the "Can you hear me now" guy. Sure, the slogan is annoying now, but it was total genius at the time. While the guy in glasses was checking his reception, T-Mobile had Catherine Zeta-Jones. Sure she's beautiful and a decent actress, but WHY is she selling cell phones? Is it because they call them "Mobiles" in Great Britain? My parents had T-Mobile at this time and the marketing was so ineffective that my mother only ever called it "Mobile T"!

Granted, this may not be the best example (my mother spent so many years calling a boy in my class "Bill Greenjeans" just to annoy me, that she often has no idea what his real name is).
Still, T-Mobile is not in the top two or three cell phone companies, although they may have a wonderful service. My thought is they need to quit identifying themselves as "not Macs" and try to do something new and relevant. Especially considering the current popularity of iPhones. For many people, the only reason they don't have an iPhone is they don't want to switch to AT&T and are just biding their time until the iPhone is more available with other carriers.

On the other hand, maybe I think about this too much and T-Mobile's only problem is that its signature color is Pepto-Pink!

3 comments:

  1. I don't remember seeing this ad. Surprise surprise! I will pay closer attention but you get too worked up over ads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, those ads are dumb, but I am generally a fan of T-Mobile. They've been my cell carrier since 2005 and I'm pretty happy with my reception, customer service, etc. But, I know that wasn't your point.

    Also, there are of course other reasons some of us do not have an iPhone (and refuse to buy one) besides the fact that AT&T is it's carrier. Personally, I just don't like the interface. Oh, and because it's Apple. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, Cis. I love my Mac (I've never owned anything else) but I would probably get an Android if I were to get a smartphone.

    Like I mentioned, T-Mobile might be a great carrier, but this commercial does nothing to convince me of that.

    However, I may be the last person on the planet who still watches commercials! (and likes it)

    ReplyDelete