Thursday, March 17, 2011

Let the Games Begin!

So I guess 5'7", fair haired, fair skinned, and almost 21 is the new small, dark, skinny and 16!
Meet Jennifer Lawrence, your new Katniss Everdeen!

I haven't seen her Oscar nominated performance in Winter's Bone, but I hear she was good. My concern is less with her acting ability and more with vague feeling of being let down by this casting decision. At this point it is purely cosmetics for me. I guess I would have liked to see the announcement of a younger girl with an appearance more closely resembling that of (my image of) her Katniss.

That is silly, really. Let's be honest, if they had cast on looks, this girl wouldn't have ever been a contender. My only hope is that she did something amazing with the part and totally sold the director and producers. You know she's going to have to sell it to the fans!

Even though I was in favor of casting a younger actress, I can admit that Katniss and the other tributes probably would look older than their actual age. It stands to reason, since all of them have lead rough lives, they may not look like a normal teenager. Casting older also allows the filmmakers to work more quickly without having to worry about the number of hours a Haylee Steinfeld can work. (Another bonus: if they keep this up, I won't feel like a dirty old lady for being firmly "Team Peeta"!)

Also, Jennifer is from Kentucky (which is probably part of District 12). She was passed up years ago for the part of Bella Swan. That may mean we all dodged a bullet in that we don't have to watch Kristen Stewart play with her hair and fidget as she fights to stay alive as Katniss!

I guess that is it for my silver linings. And I'm sending up a prayer that this apparent disregard for the natural coloring of Katniss doesn't extend to casting a lily-white Rue!

4 comments:

  1. I saw Winter's Bone. She was good and she had to be pretty tough but honestly she wasn't a fighter. More someone who took it and kept on. Honestly, I fell asleep-that doesn't mean it was a bad movie.

    I am with you. I was hoping for someone more sinewy with a physical strenth about her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking that now your pick of Hunter Parrish for Peeta seems age-appropriate.. Also, I read an interview with the director, and he was talking about the physical dissimilarity between Jennifer and Katniss. He said there are very few things that are entirely clear about the characters' races in the books; the only thing that was clear to him and to Suzanne Collins was that Rue and Thresh were both black.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fingers crossed for Hunter Parrish (Alex Pettyfer is a bit too wooden for me)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm coming around on Hunter. He's not exactly what I pictured, but he'd be a good Peeta anyway. And I really like him as Silas.

    ReplyDelete