Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Ender


Over the last few days I have been reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It isn't as good as The Hunger Games, but it was still pretty captivating. Interestingly, it also concerns a future world in which war has let to a more totalitarian form of government. In this case, however, bright children are trained for an impending war with bug-like inhabitants of another galaxy.

Anyway, as with many Science Fiction or Fantasy novels, religion has been outlawed. The main character's mother and father are Mormon and Catholic, respectively. I thought that was an odd combination but wrote it off when the two children per family rule was explained. I later found out that the author is actually Mormon.

I didn't find any overt examples of Mormon dogma (although I'm sure my friend, Kathryn, could) but I do find it interesting that, aside from religious writing, the most famous Mormon authors write Sci-fi/Fantasy. I'm sure there are statistics out there about this, but I don't have the energy to look them up right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment