Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Losing My Mind

When my mother has a senior moment, we tell her she is turning into Baba; when I have one, I'm turning into Mom. I thought I would stick around in the "Mom" mode until I was a least 40. Today I made the clear leap to "Baba"

Part of my job is to tally incoming payments by check and fill out a deposit slip. This is normally one of the easier tasks I do on a daily basis. It doesn't even require me to do any math, as I have to use our adding machine to total the checks twice, ensuring that both totals match.

I would like to emphasize that this has never been a problem for me before. Today, however, I found my deposit slip (which should have been clipped to the checks) floating around on my desk. I was surprised but didn't really think twice about it, I just got the checks out of the lock box and put it all together. In doing so, I happened to notice that the slip did not match my tape total. Not only didn't it match, but it was about six thousand dollars off!

Here is an idea of what I was seeing:

Tally Deposit Slip
3625 9352

Come On! That deposit slip number looks like I just made it up! Not only did I traspose the 5 and 2, but I flipped the 6 into a 9 and switched it with a 3. It is like a Sudoku Anagram!

I would never have caught the mistake if I hadn't forgotten to attach my slip to the checks. It would have gone to the bank then they would have called the bursar's office who would have then called my co-worker, Nicole (because she did the financial report today). She would have had to have asked me about it, then I would have gone to our files just to see that the two amounts didn't match up!

So, thanks to my "Mom" moment of leaving the slip on my desk, I discovered my "Baba" moment before exposing it to the world.

1 comment:

  1. I think I should get some credit for transposing and flipping numbers also those are part of my MO. Just ask anyone who works with me. It is not safe to ask me about dates or times unless you want the wrong information.

    ReplyDelete