Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Little Sparrow

Tonight I watched La Vie En Rose, starring Marion Cotillard. If you don't know, it is the story of Edith Piaf, probably one of the best known french singers. My exposure to Piaf was very limited up to now, but you can bet I'll be downloading some of her songs from itunes. The film was beautiful and moving, but the best part (besides the music) was undoubtably Marion Cotillard.



I have praised Cotillard before on this blog. I believed her to be the only bright spot in the travesty that was Nine. In Nine she sang 2 songs, in La Vie En Rose, it seems she sang one. I assume they used Piaf's own performances for the rest of them. Her transformation from a girl of 20 to a prematurely old woman at the age of 44 was amazing. In my mind, she well deserved her Oscar.

I couldn't help but think of Judy Garland while watching the film. If they ever make a film about Judy, Cotillard should probably be a contender. If you have Netflix (or even if you don't) you should watch this film. Je Ne Regrette Rien.

1 comment:

  1. Did she win and Academy Asward last year? I feel like she and this movie were nominated.

    ReplyDelete