Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I Dare Ya!

Last week I was feeling especially lazy so I decided to place a grocery order with Peapod. I just couldn't face walking to the store and back in this heat schlepping everything from my week's supply of Diet Pepsi to kitty litter. I have a grandma cart which I normally use for bigger grocery runs, but even that couldn't sweeten the deal.

There was also a bit of a catch 22: because it was so hot, I needed icy treats; because it was so hot, I had no chance of getting icy treats home.

This was my second try at ordering from Peapod. In both instances I have felt some sort of consumer guilt. It just seems so extravagant to have grocery items delivered to my door. Who do I think I am?

Anyway, the food etc. came and as soon as I had put it all away, I grabbed an Edy's Acai Blueberry popsicle. With what would have been relish (had everything gone according to plan) I began my first lick.

Things get a little fuzzy from here. I was lounging on my loveseat, laptop on my lap, popsicle in one hand, remote control in the other and nowhere to go. The epitome of sloth, greed and gluttony. But I was stuck. Literally. Stuck.

The popsicle had turned on me. In my haste I hadn't noticed the icy white film engulfing what should have been a purply-red frozen treat. All of a sudden I was Ralphie's little friend in A Christmas Story:

I will confess that I panicked a bit. I was rendered immobile and the thing wouldn't thaw! I know I should have gone to a sink but with my hands and lap full and in a 3/4 supine position, I couldn't move. (Yes, you may say I could have dropped the remote, moved my laptop and gotten up, but you weren't there!) Eventually, through the thoughtful and timely use of copious amounts of saliva, I managed to free my tongue. The whole thing would have been humiliating (if there were anyone to see) but I don't even think the cats noticed my struggle.

There wasn't an issue with any of the other popsicles, so I think that the first one was just temporarily over-refrigerated from the Peapod truck.

7 comments:

  1. don't feel bad. do you remember when we were watching swiss family robinson on your back porch and i got the popsicle stick stuck to my tongue and had to run home to have my dad remove it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man, we get Peapod all the time. I mean seriously - if we have to get a lot of groceries, and we usually do, because we don't go shopping often - it's either rent an i-go car or get Peapod. Peapod is cheaper, usually. The prices are comparable to any other grocery store, and the delivery fee is only about $7. Of course you also have to tip the delivery man, but it's still worth it to me. I used to feel lazy and guilty about it too, until I started doing it. Now I just feel sorry for people in cities where grocery delivery is not an option.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about Joanna's (much more traumatic popsicle incident) when I wrote about this. I'm sure I'll get over my Peapod complex eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like greed. gluttonly and sloth to me. I prefer to think of those desperate times as just well deserved and needed pamperings. I don't remember Joanna's popsicle incident. The things that happened at the Morrow house. Swiss Family Robinson and popsicles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you prob don't remember b/c i ran to my house to my dad and he got the plyers out. oh the things that happened in that neighborhood. my parents and i were just talking about the pea incident

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least you had the sense NOT to eat the sweet william. Euclid Ave. was paved with vomit that afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. *correction i grew up on euclid blvd. euclid ave was in the city down ricardo's and mt. calvary

    ReplyDelete