Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Grand Wizard

It has come to my attention that I have been publishing fewer and fewer posts each month since June. This can be partially explained by an increase in stress at work from the end of June until early August, but there is no good reason for the decline in August, September and October. I have set myself a goad to post once a day for the rest of this month in an effort to reverse the trend.

In honor of my renewed commitment to Stadababa and the Halloween tradition, I would like to present for your approval the sexiest wizard that ever was. Move over Harry Potter...here comes The Grand Wizard!


I know you could not help noticing the stunning special effects and staggeringly beautiful lyrics. My question (and I already have an opinion) is: who was in on the joke?

Based on my love of all things Tim Curry, I have decided that he definitely knew how ridiculous the movie, the song, and his performance were. Did people watching this movie know? I can't believe that it is just a matter of this film not aging well. The Worst Witch was originally a book and JK Rawling is said to have taken inspiration from it.

I don't remember watching this as a child, but it is possible that I saw it. I feel like I would have LOVED it in '86.

2 comments:

  1. Where do you find this stuff? If JK Rawling saw this movie, I am surprised she allowed Harry Potter to be made into a movie. Whether the audience was in on it depends on who the audience was. Maybe it was one of those children movies that is also entertaining to adults on a different level, but I think that is giving it way too much credit. Tim Curry and Diana Rigg must have been desparate for work. Do you think in twenty years people will have the same reaction to Jonny Depp's Alice in Wonderland?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt it. This is clearly camp (whether intentional or not). My question is about intentionality. Alice in Wonderland wasn't critically successful or a blockbuster but it was a very self-aware film. I am confident that the elements of camp seen in Alice were very much intentional and I can't imagine that 15 years from now people will think "Johnny Depp and Anne Hathaway must have been desperate for work".

    ReplyDelete