Monday, October 18, 2010

Quite Honestly, One of the Stupidest Things I've Ever Seen


American Apparel, while a popular place for many to shop, is a tacky, over-priced, bastion of poor taste. I never gave it much thought until I followed an advertisement link from one of my favorite blogs, to the American Apparel website. The ad was for "Halloween Costumes" made with American Apparel clothing.

My favorite is "The Cupcake". You just need to purchase $210 worth of layered petticoats, and and additional $81 worth of shoes, shoe laces, and sash, and you'll look like Edna Turnblad at the Beauty Salon! Cute. All for less than $300!
If you have the time and inclination, I dare you to take a look at some of these atrocities. Anyone with half a brain could see that all this really means is that you can make a costume out of any old crap. Luckily for American Apparel, I suspect many of their customers have less than the requisite half brain.

4 comments:

  1. Mostly I agree...except that I happened to stop in there on Saturday and found a cotton catsuit in various colors - the very thing my friend Amy had been search for to complete her halloween costume. Sadly, I called her and she had just purchased one online for $90 - while the one at American Apparel was $32.99.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also - you are right. I went to the link, and those are the dumbest non-costumes I've ever seen. My personal favorite is this: http://store.americanapparel.net/costume.html?cmid=51&oid=1&lid=1

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the mummy dog http://store.americanapparel.net/costume.html?cmid=28&oid=1&lid=1. I made Charlie a similar ghost costume from a torn tee shirt your dad was throwing away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slumber Party is priceless...in my day we wore pajamas and a facial mask and rollers if we wanted to have that costume! Cost: $0.00
    I saw the Mummy puppy, too. Who could look at that a not think they could do it with some old rags?

    ReplyDelete