Friday, October 15, 2010

Winnie & Me

This weekend I am dog sitting for my friend, Kathryn. Things began as they usually do with me: utter incompetence. Kathryn had arranged for a neighbor to walk Winnie at about 5:30 ish. I got to the condo a little after 6. When I walked in, I checked for Winnie in her crate, no Winnie. The place was completely silent. I figured the walk was still going strong and I decided to take the opportunity to avail myself of the washer and dryer (for which I had packed my giant suitcase, Ricardo).

I was super-excited to do laundry without having to go outside, and proceeded to search the linen closet for the detergent Kathryn promised would be there. This went on for a minute or so, but I couldn't find it. My first thought was that Jeremy, Kathryn's husband, had hidden it as a little joke. Good one, Jer!

My quest for detergent was interrupted when I found a note addressed to someone named Jen saying that the author of the note was keeping Winnie, and telling Jen to call when she got in. The letter was a little difficult to read, but I figured that I was "Jen" and that I needed to call the number to collect the dog.

I called the number. No answer. I heard the click-clack of puppy paws coming from (what I thought was) out back. Not the case. I looked, no Winnie, but still some clicking now accompanied by the tiniest of whimpers. I followed the sound more closely and opened the door to the bathroom. Guess what I found?! The laundry detergent! Oh yeah, Winnie was there too.

4 comments:

  1. Wait, what? So who is Jen? And why would you have to call the number? Also, when I tried to play the video above, it says "This is a duplicate of an already uploaded video." (???)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to fix it. Jen is nobody in this story. The person who walked Winnie thought my name was Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I did tell Beth that your name was "Sara", but she must have forgotten it... Loved the video! And I should have let you know--I figured it would be easier for Beth to get Winnie into the bathroom than into the crate (though from what I hear, she was quite the little escape artist every time Beth tried to shut the door).

    ReplyDelete
  4. So I talked to Beth and have an explanation for the "Jen" thing--I left her a note that included my number and JER'S, but apparently my "r" looks like an "n", so she thought I was leaving her the number of the friend who was staying there.

    ReplyDelete