Saturday, August 7, 2010

Market Days

I went with Kathryn and Cis today to Northalsted Market Days. I'm not really sure what I was expecting, but it turned out to be We Love Erie Days with a splash of Pride. (Okay, more than a splash, it was about 50/50) It was something like 4 or 5 blocks of vendors selling mostly food and drinks with a few scattered random booths. Some of my favorites.

1. Hepatitis Vaccination Booth
2. Mexican Wrestling Masks
3. Lifeguard Chair (apparently selling nothing but a free glimpse at a guy in a speedo, which, to be honest, nobody else at the market required a lifeguard chair to wear a speedo)

There were also a number of stages with bands performing. We unfortunately missed the Chicago Spirit Brigade, but did get a chance to meet Jujube.


She was one of my favorites this season (I'm a Pandora girl at heart, though) and I thought she should have won. She was wearing platform heels and towered over us and looked super-cute in a very non-drag dress. RCN Cable put her under these low, dark blue tents and it was really hot. I think she told someone that she was looking forward to dressing as a boy in an hour or so! I couldn't imagine having to stand around in those heels, a dress, a huge wig and all that makeup to meet people. She was pretty natural looking for a drag queen and much prettier than she looked on the show (I blame lack of sleep and stress).

All in all, it was a fun afternoon of people watching and girl talk.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, then I get home, and Ryan of course wanted a Mexican wrestling mask. I said "Well, I wasn't sure because they mostly looked like animals, and I didn't think that was bad-ass enough for you." His response? "Uh, how long have you known me? I would have put that on with my hulk gloves and chased Jolie around the house in my underwear!" Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Umm, how is a panda mask not bad-ass?? That's bad-ass in every way that counts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sara did you get your brother a mexican wrestling mask?? i think that shouts ryan. oh if only he and baba had mexican wrestling masks when they were running through the neighborhood. it would have made it sooooo much more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not go back to Market Days. I was extremely lazy today. It was raining this morning and when it cleared up, I had already cemented my butt to the couch. I may order one online though, we shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad they are so expensive. They would make a great grab bag.

    ReplyDelete