Monday, August 9, 2010

Seating Plan

I have discovered that a great way to keep someone from sitting next to you on the train is to knit. There is just something about a person wielding pointed sticks and yarn that discourages anyone from sitting next to her.

As a rule I try to be a courteous train rider. I put all my belongings on my lap and try my best to keep my feet where they belong. I don't blast music from my headphones, I don't litter or leave a Red Eye in my seat, etc. What I hadn't noticed, until today, was the effectiveness of knitting. I was feeling quite cocky about my new discovery and decided to employ it on the way home (generally considerably less crowded) and see what would happen.

I made it to Lawrence (3 stops left to go) before anyone sat next to me. This person had apparently caught on to my ploy and was having none of it. He countered my knitting needles with his newspaper. Things got uncomfortable. He was a bit too close and I found myself smushed up to the window with his elbow invading my personal space.

Needless to say, I finished the row I was working on as quickly as possible in order to re-adjust myself in my seat. This had no effect on the "gentleman" who now seemed to be dozing off and was distinctly leaning on me. To my relief, a minute later we got to my stop and I extricated myself from the situation little worse for the wear but, perhaps, a bit wiser.

The moral of the story: If you knit on the train you may get lucky and ride solo, but be prepared to share a seat with the least picky passenger.

2 comments:

  1. No one ever wants to sit next to me anyway (I think I smell bad), but I sit in the solo seats at the back of the Brown Line cars. It gives me more room to maneuver my knitting and I don't have to worry about un-picky passengers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dare I ask? What is a red eye? You make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete