Monday, August 2, 2010

Quintessential


This weekend I watched Reality Bites, the film that (in my mind) defined Generation X. It was released in 1994 at the height of Grunge and I was 14. I loved the movie and owned the soundtrack. Stay by Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories was our anthem. You couldn't listen to that song and not sing along.

Imagine my shock when I mentioned my walk down memory lane and neither of the girls I work with had any idea what "Reality Bites" is. One actually asked: "Is it a band?". I was aghast. I said that it is the St. Elmo's Fire of the 90's. That response got me nowhere.

Granted, these girls were 4 and 9 years old when "Reality Bites" came out, and not even born in time for "St. Elmo's Fire". I have made them swear to watch both movies.

This all made me wonder about the defining "coming of age" movie of the first 10 years of the new Millennium. What was it? American Pie? Superbad? Certainly not Knocked Up!

"America Pie" has to be eliminated because it was released in 1999. "Superbad" may be a contender, but it is about High School kids, not twentysomethings. I need your help. What was the defining movie of 2000-2010? It can be a comedy, drama, whatever. My only criteria is that it is set in the present and deals with the concerns of young people of the 21st century. Oh yeah, it has to be a good movie, too.

7 comments:

  1. oh i sooo feel your pain when i worked at the old folks place, i asked the servers if they remembered a friends episode b/c it was relevant to want what happening at that moment and they looked at me and said they never watched friends and i was like oh. then i realized they were born in 89 and it made sense but made me sad b/c one of my friends would have really appreciated the reference. i mean kelly, john and i make references to friends al the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly is too young to have watched Friends.

    How about High Fidelity. I love John Cusack! It was not a large ensemble but JC, Jack Black, Catherine Zeta Jones and others. John Cusack's character is neurotic, depressed, and on the verge of growing up. Also, a great soundtrack. What else do you need to be a defining coming of age movie?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mom, but I'm pretty sure that came out in the 90s. There is no excuse for not knowing a good "Friends" reference. Hello? Its called re-runs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm surprised that you thought I would not check my facts. I researched movies of the 2000-2010 decade before weighing in. High Fidelity came out in March of 2010 check IMDB. I take this blogging thing seriously.

    I feel so much better about the FRIENDS knowledge for Euclid Ave. I did not think Diane and John would allow it in their house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOPS! I mean March 2000. Excuse me I have number dyslexia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, 2000 does fit into my criteria. It is certainly one to think about. For me, it feels dated more 90s than 2000s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are forgetting when friends ended kelly was a senior in high school. she wasn't that much younger than us.

    ReplyDelete