Sunday, August 29, 2010

Talk with the Animals

When I was a little girl, my family got a Cocker Spaniel that we called "Lady". I'm pretty sure that I insisted on that highly unoriginal, but nevertheless suitable, name. Lady was a pretty great dog, inspiring my brother an I to sing songs about her, to her. We didn't go so far as to write new songs, we basically just Weird Al'd some classics, inserting her name and other details about her. The most primitive, and likely the first of the songs, was "Bicycle Bicycle Built for Two" and just exchanged "Daisy" for "Lady".

Later, we got more creative with the theme song from one of our favorite Disney Films, "Davey Crockett".

My favorite substitution is "kilt her a bee when she was only three" Clever, cause it was true!
Not only did I sing to our dog, but I also claimed to be able to speak with her. I believe I called it "dog talk" or some such nonsense. I never really thought I could talk to her, but I put on a show of it, and certainly thought I had the neighborhood kids fooled. They would humor me probably thinking: "poor girl, she really thinks she is talking to that dog. I hope her parents get her some help" or, more likely, "lets just go along with this, at least she isn't making us sing again".

I'm pretty sure I was a bit of a tyrant with an inflated sense of my own talent, intelligence, and maturity. Hmm...I guess not much has changed.

Anyway, the whole idea of talking with my pets eventually petered out, until I became more of a normal person and just talked to my pets. That is, until recently. My cats have brought back my uncanny abilities. We have whole conversations in which their various meows actually mean something to me depending on where we are.

Sometimes they make statements and sometimes they ask questions.
In the kitchen "mep-yeow?" means "can we get some _____?" usually food, water or litter. They will follow me into the kitchen and "mep-yeow?" me until I have found whichever of those things needs replenished. They will only follow me into the kitchen if they need something.

In the living room or my bedroom "aiyow." is "pet me" or "yow?" is "what are you doing?"

I'm afraid that I am pretty obviously turning into a true Cat Lady. Please don't judge.

1 comment:

  1. This skill must run in the family. You know Chesapeakes do talk. Yesterday, early in the morning, your dad heard someone saying, "Ron." Only he and the dogs were awake, so he went to the door to see who would be calling so early. Turns out the dogs were calling his name.

    ReplyDelete