Sunday, January 23, 2011

Baby Yoanna

My friend from college just had a baby last week and I'm pretty excited about it. Baby Yoanna is the first baby to be born to any of my closest group of friends from PSU. In honor of her birth, I wanted to continue my tradition of knitting a gift. I made a yellow blanket for my cousin's baby, and I posted about the striped blanket I made for a friend at work.

This time around I wanted to expand my repetoir (I can't find this word in spell-check, so it may be misspelled). I love the idea of little pea-pods for babies as I've heard that they like to feel like they are back in the womb. I guess this is why people swaddle babies so tight. I think I found the perfect pattern.

I couldn't find the right size yarn, so I had to double up the chunky I could find. It is 100% pure merino wool and I can tell it is very soft and warm. I don't know if you'll be able to tell in the pictures, but it is a really pretty pink/red combo. I made a little matching headband that will probably not fit, but I had some extra yarn.

Here is what it will look like with a baby inside (no, I do not think my giant container of Purell wipes is a baby, but it was the best I could do).
I really hope she fits in it. As you may be able to tell, my concept of the actual size of a newborn is questionable at best. I did my best to follow the directions, so I'll just have to trust the pattern. If it doesn't work, I have a back up plan:

Sure, it makes the wearer look like a garden gnome, but I had it on for only a minute and my ears were nice and toasty!

4 comments:

  1. Super cute! (And of course, I mean the gnome pic) You'll have to let me know how Nikki likes it! And yes, the sizing on newborn stuff is just weird. I have no idea. You saw me with that stupid hat for Jenni's baby.

    I started the cabled scarf, and realized I didn't like that pattern with that yarn. It was just too bulky and fluffy and so there was no definition to those giant cables. I'm doing a Celtic cable instead...it's interesting. Thus far, I'm enjoying the challenge of using the chart, but we'll see how long that lasts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets hope it doesn't go "the way of the blanket"...or of Jeremy's other scarves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's adorable and the baby pea pod is cute, tool

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hush your face. And to avoid the backlash if it does go the way of the blanket or of Jeremy's other scarves, I haven't yet told him that it's for him.

    ReplyDelete