Thursday, January 13, 2011

Fantasy Casting: Rue

Probably the most beloved character in all the books, Rue was the 12 year old tribute from District 11. She is described as small and bird-like, with dark skin and eyes. Her alliance with Katniss was short-lived but memorable.

Another pivotal role that will be extremely important to cast correctly. I scoured IMDB for suitable options, but never having seen any of the actresses in roles, I had a hard time. I tried to focus more on being small, adorable, and able to sing. There were quite a few cuties who came up, but one candidate came to me as an epiphany before I went to bed last night.

Do you know who this is?
It's RUE!!!




Willow Smith! It would be genius. She is just 11 years old now, is cute as can be, AND can sing (at least I assume so since she is starting a music career). I saw her in Kit Kittridge:An American Girl, when she played a girl playing a boy.

I'm sure whoever they actually get will be great, I think the director seems to take the relationship between Katniss and Rue very seriously based on his interview in EW this week.

Thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you on Willow. Bizarrely, however, on many of the sites I've read, people don't realize that Willow isn't white. Seriously?? Katniss only talks about her "dark brown" skin every time she mentions Rue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I KNOW! N at work didn't realize either...I thought maybe I was making it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen Willow suggested for this role before. I think she's a good choice.

    ReplyDelete