Monday, January 10, 2011

Fantasy Casting: Haymitch


Haymitch Abernathy is one of my favorite characters of the series. He is described as middle-aged, paunchy, and is almost always drunk. He was once sturdy and handsome (24 years ago when he won his Hunger Games). This is a delicate part, because the actor has to be (like Katniss) both very flawed and somehow endearing. To pull this off, I think it would be best to get a more established actor who has played a wide variety of roles. I think my two top choices would be very suitable.
Johnny Depp. Well, what can I say? At 47, he is just 7 years older than Haymitch would be (and with Haymitch's lifestyle, he should probably look closer to 50 than 40). Aside from that, the man can act. About 90% (or more) of the characters he has played are seriously flawed individuals, almost no classic leading man roles, and yet he is one of the most popular actors working today.

Robert Downey Jr. is right up there with Johnny. He is 45 years old and has had a career every bit a varied as Mr. Depp. He struggled for years with his own demons, and it wasn't until about 2008, when Iron Man came out, that really got noticed as a blockbuster-caliber actor. I've loved him since Heart and Souls and Only You.

For me, this one is really a toss-up. These guys are two of my all-time favorites. Both have great comedic abilities, but have also done plenty of dramatic roles. Neither one has ever seemed to have a problem with allowing himself to play a supporting role, nor do they shy away from parts that require them to behave badly and look terrible (in fact, I think they may prefer it).

What say you? Am I right on, or way off?


6 comments:

  1. I agree either would be great but I think JD is a bit more suited. He definitely has perfected the mumble. It would come in handy when Haymitch is intoxicated. As I am writing this, I am changing my mind. I don't think I have eve seen JD play someone who is truly angry. May RD would be a better choice. I think he would do angry really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said, this is a tough one. Either would bring a lot to the role and it would be a very different Haymitch depending on the actor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree with Johnny Depp, but I can't tell you why. He just doesn't fit, in my opinion. RDJ is a good option. In my mind, I always pictured someone more like John Rhys-Davis or John Goodman, though I know they don't entirely fit the description.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, John Rhys-Davies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Johnny Depp is way too thin and young-looking, even though he's actually much older than Haymitch. Maybe that's just me not wanting to admit that the heart throbs of my day are nearing 50? RDJ is good, but Jeffrey Dean Morgan is better, IMO. He's got that paunchy, scruffy, formerly (or still) good-looking thing down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had to look up Jeffrey Dean Morgan, but he looks like a viable option. I would argue that he is not paunchy and is definitely still good-looking (like Johnny or Robert) but I do understand your concern over body type.

    I fell like John Rhyse-Davies and John Goodman are interesting options, but probably quite a bit too old, and possibly too lovable!

    I have also heard Hugh Laurie's name for Haymitch.

    ReplyDelete