Saturday, January 29, 2011

Skins

Netflix has the British Teen Drama Skins available to watch instantly. As this is the show where Kaya Scodelario (one of the names I've heard most for Katniss) first started impressing people, I thought I'd give it a go. It is entertaining, though it isn't very believable. The show does a pretty good job of making you care about the characters who are generally very flawed.

In the first season, she has maybe 10 lines, and only appears in 3 episodes, I think. She plays Effie, the little sister of one of the main characters, Tony. I haven't gotten past season 1, so I think she must play a larger role in upcoming seasons.

That's not what this is really about. What it is really about is the kid who plays Tony. His name is Nicholas Hoult, and you may remember him as the weird kid in About a Boy. At that point he looked like this:
He was gawky and weird, but pretty good in the movie.


Now, however, he looks like this:
I'm thinking Gale. He's about 21 years old now, 6'2" and strikingly, if not conventionally, good looking. He has popped up in a few other movies in the last couple of years. I saw him in them (Clash of the Titans, A Single Man) and totally didn't recognize him as the boy. I also didn't realize it was the same person in each of those movies, but every time, I did think he was good.

4 comments:

  1. I could see that. Looks a little bit young, maybe, but that depends on who they cast as Katniss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He looks like he could play Gal. I've only seen him in About a Boy and thought he was good. I am still going with Jessie Plemons who plays Landry on Friday Night Lights to play Peeta. Their looks are contrasting so they would work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the other topic. Although I just watched RuPaul's Drag RAce, I don't think you can lure me into Skins - British or American.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you liked Drag Race. I don't think you would enjoy Skins!

    ReplyDelete