Sunday, January 9, 2011

Fantasy Casting

The Hunger Games trilogy has been featured a couple of times on this blog. I have personally persuaded at least 4 people to read it, and each of them has really enjoyed it. The rumor is that a film version is being planned for the near future, and I think I heard that Suzanne Collins (the author) is working on the screenplay. There has been much speculation about casting, particularly for Katniss, so I thought I'd join the discussion.
We shall start off nice an easy with casting for Primrose Everdeen. In the first book she is described as: Very pretty and as fresh as a raindrop, as lovely as the primrose for which she was named. Prim is 12 and this is her first reaping. Her skin and hair are fair like her mother's and she has a gift for healing.

Ladies, to the casting couch:
First up, Chloe Moretz, born in 1997. She is best known for her roles in Kick Ass and Let Me In. She may be a bit tough for Prim but in subsequent books, Prim really matures and becomes a lot stronger than she looks.

Next, we have Kiernan Shipka, born in 1999 and best known for her role as Sally Draper in Mad Men. She is really young and looks it, but would be able to mature with the role.

Finally, my personal choice, Elle Fanning. Most people still know her as Dakota's sister or don't know her at all. That is a mistake. She is every bit as talented as her older sister and her performance in Phoebe in Wonderland proved she could carry a movie. She was born in 1998.

Well, what do you think? Weigh in on these options (or provide your own) and I will be casting the rest of the main characters in the coming days.

5 comments:

  1. You already know I'm pro-Elle. She's got the delicate features that I pictured Prim having, and I think she's a great actress. Kiernen Shipka is an amazing actress as well, but she's just not how I picture Prim looking, except for the blonde hair. I don't know who this Chloe Moretz person is, but I don't like her as much as Elle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in Elle's corner. Prim may mature and has inner strength, but I don't see her as tough or hardened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elle is definitely my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also agree with Elle Fanning. Hands-down. She's who I picture while reading the books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, she was definitely my "mental picture" of Prim.

    ReplyDelete