Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sweded

It's official. I LOVE Swedish stuff. My adoration of Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy is no secret, neither is how much I enjoyed the Swedish movies it spawned (I'll reserve judgement for when I actually see the Americanized version). There is a very simple, straight-forward style that I really appreciate, especially considering the often complicated plot.

On this blog, I also praised a Swedish horror/thriller film called Let the Right One In. What I didn't realize, until recently, is that the movie was based on a book of the same title by John Ajvide Lindqvist. I found it browsing at a book store in Erie and picked it up. It was great. Quite a bit more chilling than the film, even. Much like Larsson, this author did not mince words. He was concise and matter-of-fact. It read less like magical realism or fantasy than naturalism. There wasn't any grand melodrama, but there was real feeling. The main character, a young boy, is constantly bullied and suffers greatly. His only solace is a new friend whose secret is so terrible that the word for it is only used a few times throughout the entire story.

The horror of what occurs and the repercussions to everyone's actions are terrible. If the movie had been half as graphic as the novel, I don't know that I would have made it all the way through. Because of the style of the writing, I could stomach the gore. It really was terrible and wonderful all at once.

5 comments:

  1. Does your love of Swedish stuff extend to Swedish holiday soda? Because I've gotta draw the line there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, I didn't love the holiday soda. But I do love Stellan and Alexander Skarsgard.

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you know the swedish women chew tobacco. it's common like smoking a cigarette.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not know that, Joanna. How do YOU know that? What an odd piece of trivia.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does your love of all things Swedish extend to Uncle Pete? Silly question. How about Swedish food? I think they serve a lot of Swedish food in MN.

    ReplyDelete