Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Train Etiquette


Have you ever been minding your own business, walking on the sidewalk or through a hallway or up a stairwell only to be met with someone coming directly at you? Did you do the go left/go right dance? Did you try to stare down your opposition to see who was "chicken"?

I distinctly remember being taught (as a child) that I should walk on the right-hand side of the hall. This just seems like good advice. After all, in the U.S. we drive on the right, why not walk on the right as well? I know it isn't always the easiest or most convenient thing to do, but it does make sense.

This morning I was trying to get from one train platform to another, I went up a set of stairs (keeping to my right), and down comes a group of women, in a line, from one side of the stairs to the other. There was really nowhere for me to go so I had to stop and see if the lady coming directly towards me would go around. Of course not. I know it isn't really a big deal, but I find it so frustrating.

Another time when the "stay to the right" rule would be greatly appreciated is when I am trying to get off the train at my stop, but the people waiting for to get on are blocking my exit. They seem to not understand that if I can't get off, they can't get on.

There is one man, in particular, whom I notice morning after morning queuing up to be the first on our train. His red bearded face is literally inches from the unopened doors before the train actually comes to a complete stop. He parks himself directly between the sliding doors, ensuring that no one may get on or off before he does. I have made it my mission to be in front of him one day.

I once saw a photograph of business men waiting on a train platform. There were markings on the ground to show them where to stand to wait for the doors to open. It looked like there was an entrance and exit to each set of train doors. It was kind of like a roller coaster platform. I may have dreamt this photograph up, because I can't find it or anything like it anywhere. If heaven exists, its train platforms will be like that.

Am I alone in this?

4 comments:

  1. I just can't get excited about staying to the right etiquette today. Last night while attending a fabulous Carole King and James Taylor Troubadour Reunion Concert, I got in a line that started in the Women's bathroom and spilled out with over 15 women-of the age that would be at a Carole King and James Taylor Concert-streamong through the corridor. Said bathroom had two doorways- only one of which had a line. A few women who obviously do not know bathroom etiquette walked in the door without the line and waited for an empty stall at their end of the bathroom. Trust me this lack of bathroom etiquette trumps walking, standing, boarding on the right. Notice I did not say it trumped driving on the right. That would be an exaggeration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you--I was thinking the very same thing last night.

    And as for your mom's comment--what is the definition of "women of the age that would be at a Carole King and James Taylor concert"? Because I know for sure that this 30-year old woman would LOVE to be at that concert! :) But yes, totally unacceptable lack of bathroom etiquette no matter what your age.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why can't we live in a world where both bathroom and walking etiquette is observed. It can be done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, I'm a little behind on the blog reading.

    OMG, I seriously talked about this in therapy one time. I don't know what it is about me (insert short-person joke here), but people NEVER move for me on the sidewalk. I end up in the grass all the time. And I always walk on the right. If I see people coming and I am walking next to someone, I will move and walk behind the person I'm walking with. I don't think this crosses most people's minds. It's just so rude. It makes me feel like I'm being disrespected, like people don't think I'm worth moving for. Sure that's taking it to an extreme, but that's the basis of our frustration. I can't believe we've never gotten into this conversation in person.

    This "right side" issue also applies to escalators and the moving sidewalks in the airport, btw.

    ReplyDelete