Sunday, May 2, 2010

Living for Drag Queens

My mom asked me today what brought about my interest in Drag Queens. I had to tell her it was all her fault. She was the one who rented To Wong Foo and brought it home for me to watch. From the first "Little latin boy in drag, why are you crying?" I was done for.



The appeal, for me, stems from the amazing transformations these men can make. It is also the idea that men, traditionally the more powerful of the sexes, can bring confidence, strength and great humor to their female personas.

When RuPaul's Drag Race began, I was again riveted. The show was great, but it was "Under the Hood" that endeared the cast to me. In the behind-the-scenes footage, the Queens would sit around awaiting the judges decisions. There were insecurities, frustrations, and anger, but there was also sisterhood. It was basically like watching a support group for Drag Queens.



I particularly enjoyed this aspect of the show. I have been extremely fortunate in my friendships and in a world where female friendship is so often portrayed as catty and back-stabbing, these non biological women were more "real" than anyone else on reality television. Certainly more real than those vapid pseudo celebrities on shows like "The Hills". Girls who would sell their so-called friends to the highest bidder if it meant getting the job or the guy. So maybe it isn't so strange that I love Drag Queens, from where I sit, these are the girls I would want to be friends with.

No comments:

Post a Comment