Thursday, June 24, 2010

Feeling Better


I think it was Monday or Tuesday when I called my mother after work and she commented that I sounded like I was in a better mood. I think I replied "That's because I'm out of there!" You see, the past few weeks have been a nightmare at work preparing for the students to arrive. We moved our offices and I am in charge of ordering all the supplies the instructors will need. I do that on top of all my other responsibilities of answering phones and emails and processing the paperwork that comes in by the truckload! (I do get lots of help from my great co-workers in the office, but still.)

Last week I was actually at the point where I had so much to do, I didn't do anything. I'm sure that is an exaggeration, but not a gross one. I found myself torn in ten different directions and petrified in my seat no knowing which way to go.

Two of us had to hire Office Assistants this year (a new responsibility) and one of the questions we asked them was: What do you do when you have difficulty completing a project due to time constraints or the amount of work to be done? We are looking for answers like "I make a list", "I prioritize", "I ask for help", etc. But what happens when the list keeps growing, everything is equally important, and everyone else is just a busy as you are?

I will say that I am feeling better this week. I have finally caught up on some of the work and I am now at the point where (in most cases) if it isn't done yet, there isn't much I can do about it. It is a very liberating realization.

3 comments:

  1. I'll have to try those suggestions. Make a list-huh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from someone who works in a deadline-driven environment and whose department was cut by 3/4 in the past 2 years (though I also sometimes work 12-14 hour days during busy times):

    1. For each proposal I do, we have a form that summarizes the entire process for which I am responsible. Everything you could possibly want to know about that proposal effort is on this form - it lists the requirements of the submission, printing specifications, delivery specifications, themes, roles/responsibilities, a checklist of forms, and a schedule. Filling this out first forces you to PLAN, prioritize, and think ahead about the big picture. If something like that at all pertains to what you have to do, I'd suggest creating something similar. I'd be happy to send you a sample.
    2. I do the tasks I like first. Especially if they aren't difficult or require a lot of thought. I'll fill out the necessary forms or that kind of thing. Then later you don't have anything to procrastinate with.
    3. If you can ask for help, do it - though I usually find that unless it's someone who already does my same job and thinks the way I do, it takes more time and requires more stress for me to show them how to do it and tell them what I want. I only ask for help from those I trust.
    4. If you rely on other people AT ALL to complete the tasks you are assigned, pull together the things they need FIRST. Give them what they need to do their part, and check up on them often. Be annoying. If they don't make THEIR deadline, they have no excuse, and you look like the good, in-control person.
    5. My final recommendation: if you have to do something you don't like doing, or that takes a lot of thought, go in another room and get away from any distractions. When I need to hunker down and come up with a good proposal strategy, or I need to edit down someone's project approach from 23 pages to 6, I print out what I need, go in a conference room, and shut the door. You'd be amazed how quickly you get things done when you have nothing else to distract you or with which you can procrastinate.

    Hope that helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the pointers, cis. maybe you can present some of those ideas at our planning session this fall. We like to talk about all the great things we are going to do then never put them into action!

    ReplyDelete