Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Stormy Weather

Well, I dodged a bullet today (not exactly a bullet, but rather thousands of gigantic raindrops) by leaving work about 3 minutes early. Had I not, I would have been stuck in a downpour that began just moments after I reached the train platform. The people on the street were shrieking as their umbrellas blew inside out and they got soaked to the bone. Out of nowhere the wind whipped up to the point where the rain and the water already on the road made the dark cement look like a rough day at the beach, waves and all.

Later, when the wind had died down, I saw one guy who was so wet he was no longer hurrying home. Completely resigned to his fate, he practically meandered to his door.

A couple of the cracks of thunder have already made me jump and I think this is supposed to go on all night. I'm just glad the cats seem to be unaffected.

Before the downpour, when I was walking to the train, it was only raining a little. I could tell things were going to get much worse because it felt like 100% humidity. The air was so thick, I was almost swimming rather than walking. Each breath was more H2O than O.

I don't mind a storm (as long as it doesn't knock out my power). I hope this will cool things off a bit outside.

2 comments:

  1. It is nasty out! Jer says Winnie refused to go outside, and it was all he could do to drag her, under his umbrella, over to a tree so that she could pee. She refused to poo, though, and so he brought her back inside. She sat in her window and waited for the rain to stop, and then demanded that he take her out as soon as it did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Winnie sounds like a girl who knows how to get her way. I love a good storm. Sometimes its even all right if the electricity goes out (not for too long). I like to just sit and listen and watch.

    Love your Lena Horne clip. Due to her death at 92, Sunday Morning replayed a segment on her a couple of weeks ago. I think she was another girl who knew how to get her way.

    ReplyDelete