Friday, June 25, 2010

I'll cop to "Harried" but "Pedantic", no way

I know I've complained enough on this blog about things at work, but I'm actually still seething about what happened today.

I got a call from a woman at one of our other offices saying that she had a parent who wanted to apply to our first session (starting on Sunday) for her child. I said that we were not accepting any more applications for Session 1, but Session 2 was still available. I though that would be the end of that.

Should have known better. About 20 minutes later, the parent comes into my office/book and supply storage room. I was alone (usually there is at least one other person in there with me). She said she had been to the other office and been told "no" but "needed to be told 'no' again". So, I told her "no" again. There followed a pregnant pause, in which she evidently expected me to change my answer. I attempted to give her a sympathetic smile and explain that all the "books and supplies have been ordered, the staff is in place, and we quit admitting students over a week ago" another pregnant pause. At this point, I'm sure my smile became a bit strained, "I'm sorry, but we can't accept your child. Session 2 is still open".

She couldn't do Session 2 because her family will be on vacation. I felt VERY sorry for her, but my answer was still "no". After a couple more "no"s followed by more pauses, she finally left. Once again, foolishly, I thought it was over.

About 4 hours later I was checking the emails and one addressed to the director of all our programs was very sweetly written. (This is like going directly to the president of McDonald's when you are refused an Egg McMuffin at 5pm) "I was so excited to see that your program was still accepting applications" , "I was shocked when I was told 'no' the first time", "a young girl, apparently harried, told me unequivocally, 'no'", "she was pedantic, saying that 'the books had been ordered'".


Needless to say, my blood boiled. I could feel my face redden and my heart pound. I did not forward the email to the director (who is a bit out of touch and doesn't like to be bothered), but, rather, to my boss who specifically directs my program. She could decide what to do with the woman's request. Like I said, other than the "harried" and "pedantic" part, the email was quite sweetly written. It praised our program and expressed the sincere wish of both the parent and child to participate. So reasonable in its audacity. Clearly the work of someone used to getting her own way.

Well, not today, sister.

3 comments:

  1. A mother's concern. Does your director read this blog? Could you lose your job?

    ReplyDelete
  2. no. no one at work reads this blog. and i didn't name any names i didn't even name my program

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahahaha...you're pedantic!

    ReplyDelete