Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Young Victoria


I had really been looking forward to getting this movie from Netflix. I realized that I knew very little about Queen Victoria and the Victorian Era. Most of what I know comes from the second half of her more than 63 year reign, when she was a widow and the ruler of an empire.

This film, as the title indicates, is about her just before she becomes Queen and the first 4 years of her reign. It was fascinating to see that she began to reign only 1 month after her 18th birthday. Her uncle, the king, held out just long enough for her to come of age to avoid having to hand over control of Great Britain to her mother (and her mother's controlling advisor).


I do love a period piece, and this was no exception. Rent it, if you feel the same way, and you won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation. I am presently watching The HBO John Adams series. A great period piece but the costuming leaves a little to be disired. Also, It is not populated by the beautiful people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think for the John Adams time period, you need to be in France or England for the really awesome costumes. These costumes were good, and I'm sure historically accurate, but they just don't have the wow factor of "The Duchess" or "Marie Antoinette".

    ReplyDelete