Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Wet Chicago

This evening brought a nearly torrential downpour to Evanston and my walk from work to the train. We have just moved to our Summer offices on campus, so my trek to and from the train always gets a bit longer at this time of year.

Chicago may be called the Windy City, but I think it should be the city of 1,000,000 puddles. There seems to be absolutely no drainage. Maybe I never walked enough in any of the other places I have lived, but I swear I have never seen anything like this.

My walk is nearly a straight shot along a residential sidewalk and, though I did my best to avoid the deepest puddles, my pants were wet up to my knees and I felt a distinct pruning of my toes after my shoes were soaked through. In order to have made it home without soaking myself, I would have had to have been a world-class gymnast.

4 comments:

  1. The original Stada Baba would love this film. You might even be able to convince her that it is you in the video. Hope you are warm and dry by now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. waaaaa!!!! i lived in nashville during their 100 yr flood and got completely soaked going from my car to the house. (i do feel you pain just wanted to give you a hard time)

    you prob could convince her it was you. i went to several tap recitals where you werent' on stage and she thought it was you. anyone your height and blond hair had to be sara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. poor joanna and the tap recitals. hope you didn't feel like you had to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no the tap recitals were fine. also, a little entertaining sitting by the babs

    ReplyDelete